How to maximize your AIR MILES earning with these cards
In this portfolio your primary card will be the BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard as its earn rate is simple. 1 AIR MILES Reward Mile for every $10 you spend on the card. Nice and easy. No specific category bonuses to worry about and the card comes with a nice 3,000 AIR MILES Reward Miles sign up bonus. The secondary card in this portfolio is the American Express AIR MILES Platinum Card. Its annual fee is waived in the first year so it won't cost you anything and you can get the 2,000 Reward Miles sign up bonus. Its earn rate 1 AIR MILES Reward Mile for every $10 spent but only at AIR MILES sponsors and on gas and grocery purchases. So for those types of purchases it really is a toss up between using the MasterCard or the American Express Card. Outside of those categories always go with the MasterCard unless you are at merchant that only accepts American Express. Just before the first year is up on the Platinum Amex you could choose to switch it to the no fee regular American Express AIR MILES card to save yourself $65 but still have that Amex in your wallet for when a promotion comes up that is tied into using an Amex card.
At first it seems like the third card makes no sense at all. The TD First Class Visa Infinite Card does not earn AIR MILES (no Visa card does) but you can end up using it when you go to redeem your AIR MILES Rewards Miles. How and why? Well on AIR MILES redemptions you still have to pay the taxes and fees as you can't use your Reward Miles towards them. So if you have used your TD First Class Visa for those purchases where only a Visa card is accepted and built up some TD Rewards Points you can use them towards those taxes and fees. Redeem your AIR MILES for a reward flight and when prompted online or by phone as to which credit card to use to pay for the taxes and fees give them your TD Visa numbers. Once that charge shows up on your account after a couple of days, go online to tdrewards.com or give them call to redeem those points against the charge that shows up from AIR MILES. You can redeem as little as 250 points for a $1 credit or if you have enough points you can use them to cover all the taxes and fees and you have now got your AIR MILES reward ticket completely free.
The Ultimate AIR MILES Credit Card Portfolio:
||BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard
• Earn 1 Best Western Rewards® point for every $1 in eligible purchases‡
• 1,000 Bonus AIR MILES when you apply for and receive the BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard
- that's enough for 3 select short haul flights
• Exclusive 25% Flight Discount on all AIR MILES flights in North America with no blackout periods
• 1 AIR MILES reward mile for every $10 that you spend on your credit card
Apply now for the BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard
American Express® Air Miles Platinum®* Credit Card
• New American Express® AIR MILES®* Platinum Credit Card Cardmembers, earn a bonus of 2,000 AIR MILES reward miles when you charge a total of $500 in purchases to your Card within your first three months of Cardmembership.
• Enjoy your first year free
• Earn 1 reward mile for every $10 in Card purchases at AIR MILES®* Sponsors
• Earn 1 reward mile for every $10 in Card purchases at other eligible grocery stores, gas stations, and drugstores in Canada
• Plus, earn 1 reward mile for every $15 in Card purchases everywhere else
• Shop at participating AIR MILES Sponsors across Canada with your Card and show your AIR MILES®* Collector Card, and you can earn reward miles twice
• More than 1000 rewards to choose from! Redeem for a wide range of rewards - everything from electronics to travel and more
• American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link.
Apply now for the American Express® Air Miles Platinum®* Credit Card
TD First Class Visa Infinite Card
• Receive a Welcome Bonus of 20,000 TD Points after your first Purchase
• You could receive another 5,000 bonus TD Points if you keep your Account open, active and in good standing for 90 days after your Account is opened
• Authorized User Bonus of 5,000 Bonus TD Points1 when you add an Authorized User to your Account by December 2 (Authorized User must call and activate their Card by January 16, 2017)
• Offer Valid until December 2, 2016
• Earn 3 TD Points for every $1 spent on Purchases made using your Card
• Earn 9 TD Points for every $1 spent on travel purchases made online through ExpediaForTD.com with your Card.
• TD Points can be redeemed to help pay for almost any travel expense charged to your TD Travel Credit Card
• Travel protected with insurance coverages including Travel Medical Insurance and Travel Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance
Apply online for the TD First Class Visa Infinite Card
Other Card Options:
If you want to upgrade your travel you could choose to go with the American Express AIR MILES Reserve card. It comes with a heftier annual fee of $299 but comes with a slightly higher sign up bonus of 2,400 miles but the key with this card is the additional benefits it brings. It gives you automatic AIR MILES Onyx status meaning your AIR MILES will never expire as long as you hold the status and comes with a free companion ticket when you redeem for a flight with a value of up to 1,700 AIR MILES. It also pays for an annual Priority Pass which allows you to access airport business class lounges along with 4 complimentary lounge visit passes. Or as we mentioned above if the BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard is your main card you can just choose to go with the American Express AIR MILES card as your no-fee Amex option in the portfolio. On the other hand if you have something like the Platinum or Reserve from Amex and want a lower version of a MasterCard you could go to the no fee BMO AIR MILES MasterCard but with that card you'll do away with your strongest AIR MILES earning potential and the 25% discount on reward flights in North America. So we would not recommend going that route!
Talk to us!
What do you find works best for you for earning the most AIR MILES Reward Miles? Do you use these three cards exactly as laid out above or do you use a different combination? Tell us in the comments section below or join the conversation on Facebook and Twitter!
Rewards Canada can be found on the following social media channels: